Fundamental Truths

  • In war the best policy is to take a state intact.
  • Too Much is the Same as Not Enough
  • Fear is the Mind-Killer
  • All Warfare is based upon deception.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Travellin' Man

As far back as I can recall, I've been prone to move around.


Not moving as such, you understand... I lived in the same house for most of my life.

No, my family and I just took a lot of trips. Part of this was simple common sense.

When you live in Alaska, taking a vacation or two helps keep you sane. Seeing a warm sunny day in October can keep you from chasing your neighbors around with an ice auger.

But we left the state, on average, at least twice a year. Mostly, we went to California or Indiana, where the parents of my parents lived (and live, in the case of Mom's parents).

The point is, I've been packing up and trucking along since I can remember.

Until the last three years.

After my last grand trek through Canada to get here, Indiana, where I have done, accomplished, achieved and gained NOTHING, I have been more or less shackled to not merely Indiana, but to Bloomington.

You see, even when I was in Alaska and not out of the state, there would be trips to the cabin in the south, trips which more or less entailed enterign a different climate.

Now?

I find myself mired in Bloomington, trapped in a town that did its best to give me the boot five years ago. Graduation should have been my farewell to Bloomington, and to Indiana.

Where I used to be able to get some distance under my feet, make some tracks, I've bogged down in the mire.

And that, as much as anything, is why I hate it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment