Fundamental Truths

  • In war the best policy is to take a state intact.
  • Too Much is the Same as Not Enough
  • Fear is the Mind-Killer
  • All Warfare is based upon deception.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rainbow in the Dark

So, in the wake of Ronnie James Dio's passing, I find myself moved to talk about my experiences with the man's music.

I discovered Dio late in life, first hearing his driving, awesome "I" while hanging out with a scumfuck buddy of mine in college- specifically, my junior year of college.

I did not immediately become a devotee.

Oh, I liked what I heard- I rapidly became one of those guys who remind people that Ozzie wasn't Sabbath's only vocalist- but I wouldn't say I became a fan.

No, it was during the year above the donut shop that I truly came to love the work of Dio.

Partly, it was exposure- my roomies all liked him to one degree or another, and so the music was on more.

Partly it was my own growing interest...

But mostly, I owe the boys of Tenacious D.

Dio's part in their film The Pick of Destiny is brief, beautiful, and it made a believer out of me.

When I found that he'd nailed his recording for the audio track in almost no time, I was further awed.

So I'm grateful for the tunes, the style, and most definitely the insanity of Ronnie James Dio.

As a dear comrade in arms said the day Dio died, "Now rocking Heaven and Hell."

Rock on, Ronnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment