Fundamental Truths

  • In war the best policy is to take a state intact.
  • Too Much is the Same as Not Enough
  • Fear is the Mind-Killer
  • All Warfare is based upon deception.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Springtime in Alaska

So, as I pack and prepare to go waste an entire month in Anchorage, I figured I'd take one of my peaceful strolls through the woods. Just something I do.

And then I rediscovered the joys of spring in the Interior.

We have several wildfires going in the surrounding area, with the end result that no matter what the prevailing winds turn out to be, the entire area is blanketed in a haze of smoke from several hundred (possibly several thousand) acres of empty wilderness blazing away like a giant campfire.

As a result, anyone stepping outdoors is almost instantly kippered.

But the smoke is NOT enough to deal with the insect life- as your lungs fill with smoke, your skin is attacked on several fronts by great swarms of mosquitoes hellbent on draining your blood, and then the yellowjackets or bald wasps decide to pay a call to snack on the mosquitoes...

Yeah, it can be a bit rough.

But, on the other hand, as I walk through the smokey, bug-infested woods, I do so with a rifle on my shoulder, a pistol and a kukri at my belt, and the freedom to piss wherever I please more or less self-evident.

God I love my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment