Fundamental Truths

  • In war the best policy is to take a state intact.
  • Too Much is the Same as Not Enough
  • Fear is the Mind-Killer
  • All Warfare is based upon deception.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Awareness

Let's get this part over with- my powers of perception are selective, at best. For example, I'm terminally unaware of social signals. I don't even know what "being given the eye" looks like.

But damned if I don't seem to put most of the schmucks I see on a daily basis in the shade.

When you jack into your headphones at the bus stop, when you stare at your cell phone for the entire duration of a bus ride, when you avoid making eye contact with anyone around you out of fear... You are putting yourself at far greater risk than an accidental contact ever could.

Because while you, like me, may find your traveling companions tiresome, it's no excuse to ignore what's going on around you.

And if you're on your headphones when someone's backing out of their driveway? You might just end up as roadkill.

So, for the love of whatever god, gods, or ethical constructs you may believe in, unplug the fucking headphones, put your goddamn cell phone away, and have a look around.

You never know what you might be missing- and I don't mean the love of your life.

I mean the crazy guy with a machete in his hands walking behind you.

Little things like that merit your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment