Fundamental Truths

  • In war the best policy is to take a state intact.
  • Too Much is the Same as Not Enough
  • Fear is the Mind-Killer
  • All Warfare is based upon deception.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Educational Experience

So, as part of my gradual plan to drag myself out of abject poverty, I have some hoops to jump through.

Among them, a series of online video clips by the people who determine the standards by which this profession is judged.

And dear lord, are they idiotic.

In one of these segments, clearly developed by someone who has never had a job outside of education, the virtues of a three-ring binder to encourage organization are touted.

I had several three-ring binders in my youth.

I broke or otherwise destroyed every last one of the useless things trying to make the crap fit inside.

Additionally, at 28 years of age, I have long moved past the need for a smiling, encouraging teacher.

In fact, those who know me can attest to the fact that I respond very badly to cheerful people.

And thus, I find these videos far harder than the classroom observations, online discussions, and travel involved in this job.

Because in many ways, they seem to encapsulate everything I hate about the profession, and everything I intend not to do.

Students are not morons. Even the ones who are morons do not take being talked down to terribly well.

Because if there's one thing we come out of school filled with hatred for, it's the patronizing fucks who treated us like children.

So, much as I did in some of my classes, I will nod, pretend I give a fuck, and jump through the hoops so I can leave.

My, but education is in good hands.

2 comments:

  1. I take comfort in knowing that the children in our weird little commune will have an education that teaches them to think, not just regurgitate some dubious facts without the slightest understanding of them.

    Also, that the little bastards won't give Commandant Henry any motherfucking lip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.

    An encouragement of their own thinking combined with PRACTICAL knowledge is something I don't mind admitting we all could have used in our younger days.

    ReplyDelete